Thursday, May 13, 2010

Help those Migratory Birds

That's an Indigo Bunting, one of the showy Spring Migratory Birds that one might see in McHenry County these days. The shock of blue looks out of place in most any location!

Numerous warblers are travelling through the area this time of year, on the way from their winter homes to their summer places up north. I have to confess, that unless a warbler stops at the bird feeder long enough for me to get a good look at all of its markings, I cannot tell them apart (most are just small, yellowish birds to me...) Some of the names I hear others call out include: Palm Warbler, Pine Warbler, and Yellow-throated warbler. [Note: They are not bright yellow like the goldfinch.]

Keeping water and birdseed available at least through May will help the migrants (and will keep the resident birds happy as well!)

No comments: